We had a great turn out for the healthy eating demo at DOT’s Fresh Seasons Café on August 20, 2014! Taher’s Corporate Nutritionist, Melanie Wirth, shared some wonderful ideas for how to live a healthy lifestyle, even though many of us think we are too busy for a healthy meal or some gym-time. Afterward, Chef Erik Hanson showed us how to prepare a healthy Fall Salad and answered questions about the recipe.
A few tips for eating healthy and clean:
- Eat breakfast within an hour of waking up, it will get your metabolism started for the day. Once you get it going, you have to keep it going, so try eating six small meals instead of three large ones.
- Make your snacks healthy by choosing nuts or trail mix, something that will maintain your blood sugar levels to keep you from feeling mid-morning/afternoon fatigue. Make sure your meals include lean proteins.
- Eat FIVE servings of fruits or vegetables each day.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid simple carbohydrates, like refined sugars.
- Make your carbohydrates complex, like brown rice, fruits, veggies or whole-wheat pastas.