Greens are the No. 1 food you can eat regularly to help improve your health. That’s because leafy vegetables are brimming with fiber along with vitamins, minerals, and plant-based substances that may help protect you from heart disease, diabetes, and perhaps even cancer. Even so, Americans are not eating as many vegetables each day as dietary experts recommend.
Here’s our top 10 list of Leafy Green Vegetables from most nutritious to least:
- Kale : an excellent source of vitamins A C, and K, has a good amount of calcium for a vegetable, and also supplies folate and potassium.
- Collards : High in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, and manganese.
- Turnip Greens : This sharp-flavored leaf is low in calories yet loaded with vitamins A,C, and K as well as calcium.
- Swiss Chard : Both Swiss chard and spinach contain oxalates, which are slightly reduced by cooking and can bind to calcium, a concern for people prone to kidney stones. Chard contains 15 calories in one-half cup and is a good source of vitamins A and C.
- Spinach : Popeye’s favorite vegetable has 20 calories per serving, plus it’s packed with vitamins A and C, as well as folate.
- Mustard greens : The lovely top greens have actually more vitamin A, carotenes, vitamin K, and flavonoid anti-oxidants than some of commonly consumed fruits and vegetables.
- Broccoli : rich in vitamin C and is also a good source of vitamin A, potassium, and folate.
- Romaine Lettuce : High in Vitamin C and known to lower cholesterol.
- Cabbage : great source of cancer-fighting compounds and vitamin C. One-half cup cooked has 15 calories.
- Iceberg Lettuce : High in Protein, Calcium, Omega-3s, More Vitamin C Than An Orange and Iron.